You Asked and We Answered

Frequently Asked Questions

My pet has special food because she has allergies. Will Town & Country Pet Resort be able to feed her her specific food if I bring enough for her stay?

Yes! We recommend all pets remain on their current diet while boarding as a sudden change in diet can cause stomach problems. Meals are served twice daily. If you prefer, we also feed a delicious and nutritious lamb and rice.


Do I need to make a reservation for boarding or grooming or doggie daycare?

Yes. We want to make sure we have a room (or grooming table) available for you! If you are planning on going vacation, call us so we can reserve a room for your dog. During the holiday season, we run out of space very fast.


How far in advance should I book my reservation?

For holiday travel plans it would be highly recommended to book your pets stay when you book your plans. Most boarding facilities sell out for every major holiday and are typically full a month before the holiday. Non-peak travel dates can be accommodated with just a few days' notices.


What should I bring with me for my pet while they stay? 

We recommend that you bring the following: enough food (portioned out) for their stay, a couple of their favorite toys, their bed, and medication (if needed).


How do I make a reservation?

The easiest and simplest way to make a reservation is to call us at (209) 772-1972.


My pet has a complicated medication schedule if I bring the medication as well as directions will Town & Country Pet Resort be able to administer my pets medication?

Yes! For a nominal fee and please keep medication in the original bottle.


How secure is the facility?

The facility is very secure, from all of the livestock on the property as well as the gates that get locked after closing. The owners, as well as one trained employee, also live on the property.


What are the safety protocols?

All employees attend training courses on a regular basis to strengthen knowledge of dogs body language and play styles. The staff is certified in pet first aid and CPR. There are also employees that live on the property. 


What if my pet gets sick and needs to go to the vet during their visit?

If your pet has a preexisting condition or becomes ill and needs medical attention we will try to notify you and your emergency contact. We will do our best to use your pet's personal veterinarian, but if circumstances warrant we will do whatever necessary to ensure the health of your pet. For full details on this, please read our Policy form on the Contact Us page.


Do you administer insulin? 

Yes for a nominal fee. 


What are the rates for boarding and grooming? 

Prices vary, please contact us and we will be happy to give you a quote!


Is Town & Country Pet Resort groomer certified? 

Yes, the owner Trish Elliot is certified. 




Feel free to contact us with any more questions and or comments. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

© 2018 by Town & Country Pet Resort.

Phone Number: 209-772-1972

Fax Number: 209-772-2691


Physical Location

4442 Penn Mine Rd, Campo Seco, California 95226

Mailing Address

PO 1060, Valley Springs, California 95252

Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM 

                            3:30 PM - 6:00 PM

Saturday            8:00 - 9:30 AM 

                           3:30 - 6:00 PM

Sunday              3:30 - 6:00 PM